Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Welcome to DBS...........Weston's VeeDub Club

71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)

Go down 
+32
ServetaPaul
vwroadster
itsabuglife
Bmtt4
Jam Man
thecrewkid
ANDYLHAM
WizBizMartin
vietnam
type25 dan
dubberatlast
Road Rage
big dave
delboy
Shorty
Gungemyster
vwbeetlebum
Impy Mcdub
Wurz
uselescrapytwit
ARCANE
tango_van
SimonABT
blueridge
griff
HRD
Big_Al
clockwork
Shamrockez
joker 67
nomates
Mr Scoops
36 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 23, 24, 25
AuthorMessage
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

Male Number of posts : 38010
My Ride(s) : 1991 Vanagon GL Westfalia 2.1: 2011 A3 S-Line
Registration date : 2006-08-19

71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 EmptySun Oct 29, 2017 9:25 pm

Got the nearside exhaust wrapped this afternoon to help stop the oil lines getting too hot.

71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 F57_FA6_BA_15_AE_4709_9_B68_AD919_BB60170

I'm wondering if I have put the fuel pump a little too close to the hat exchanger though. The bend on the  fuel hose was a little too tight too I think.
71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 F4_F62229_CACF_4852_A534_8_FD2615_A84_FD

I just need to mount this monster!! I'm thinking about possibly mounting to the chassis in front of the metal mud guard, although the guard will need trimming to allow access for the 'IN' hose and the pressure sensor.
71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 3_CC466_E2_B29_E_419_D_9207_73_E1097_D2_EDA
Back to top Go down
http://www.cttp.co.uk
Dirty Dave
Will Weld For Food
Dirty Dave

Male Number of posts : 2306
My Ride(s) : These days, I walk!

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 EmptySun Oct 29, 2017 10:31 pm

Looking good dude. The finishing line is in sight. afro
Back to top Go down
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 EmptySun Oct 29, 2017 10:46 pm

Dirty Dave wrote:
Looking good dude. The finishing line is in sight. afro

It is. I might need to speak to you regarding the need for a stone shield to protect the oil filter it's going to sit just behind the nearside rear wheel.
Back to top Go down
joker 67
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
joker 67

Male Number of posts : 3498
My Ride(s) : 2018 Skoda Karoq edition and something else
Registration date : 2008-02-11

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 EmptyMon Oct 30, 2017 8:10 pm

Is that fuel pipe touching heat exchanger, if so get it moved as will chafe through in no time
Back to top Go down
Dirty Dave
Will Weld For Food
Dirty Dave

Male Number of posts : 2306
My Ride(s) : These days, I walk!

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 EmptyMon Oct 30, 2017 8:56 pm

Mr Scoops wrote:

It is. I might need to speak to you regarding the need for a stone shield to protect the oil filter it's going to sit just behind the nearside rear wheel.
I'm sure we can sort something out dude. Wink
Back to top Go down
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 EmptyMon Oct 30, 2017 9:40 pm

joker 67 wrote:
Is that fuel pipe touching heat exchanger, if so get it moved as will chafe through in no time
It's not touching but it is close. I can slacken off the bracket and turn it a bit. I think it may still require a heat shield there.
Might be able to sort with a bit of exhaust wrap.
Back to top Go down
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 EmptyTue Oct 31, 2017 12:04 pm

Dirty Dave wrote:
Mr Scoops wrote:

I'm sure we can sort something out dude. Wink

I'll mock something up out of cardboard Dude. The last thing I want is a stone to puncture the filter! Rolling Eyes lol!
Back to top Go down
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 EmptyWed May 23, 2018 10:59 am

After a considerable hiatus from this I am now back on it!
Everything was going swimmingly until the onset of the cold weather and me dropping my bloody worklights.
This lead to the old girl living outside all winter, up on stands on the drive.
I have had to sort the garage as it was like a bloody hand grenade had been thrown in there!

So, we're back on it.

First off I painted the inner face of the stone guard that I'd had made up.
71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 EC68C543-D02F-4BFC-A39F-CDA0F85C541D_zpspmnoowsj

I then mounted the filter and attached the pressure sender. It's all bit clumsy but it'll do the job.
71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 2DF57EE1-315A-43BC-B396-039D53B3ADF8_zpsao91lacg

71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 CA379AB2-0545-44EA-B870-75BE8C95DA4C_zpsb0a89fyu

71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 D7F29925-C8EB-4362-BCDF-0547DDD1CC9D_zpsjvbuw7ba

I am now waiting for some p-clips to arrive from ebay so I can route the oil lines to make sure they aren't flapping around like a dogs cock in a sock.
Once I'm happy with the route I'll cut the new lines to length and fit everything up.

As Shorty as pointed out the fuel line is close to the exchanger so I plan to sheath (snigger) the line after rotating the fuel pump a bit.

Then it's a case of finishing the worry gauge loom and wiring up the fuel pump feed. I've got some flexi trunking to run the electrics in, over on the right hand side of the engine bay to tidy it all up.

The fuel line behind the fan housing needs clipping in place, and the throttle linkage on the left hand carb needs swapping out for a left hand linkage as they are both currently fitted with a right hand set up.

Throttle cable guide then to go on, all bolts/nuts to be checked for tightness, charge the battery and fit up the rear tinware and we might, just might be ready to drive her off the drive for the first time in a year!
Back to top Go down
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 EmptyTue May 29, 2018 8:10 pm

Got some time on the old girl again last weekend.
Routed the new oil lines after I'd cut them to length.
All P-clipped in place now and tight.
71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 IMG_4145_zps5sjy8rhi

Heat sheath added to the oil lines and exhaust wrap on the exhaust.
71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 IMG_4146_zpskd4vhehh

71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 IMG_4147_zpsgs2d4fom

Rear tinware fitted. I need a new seal......
71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 IMG_9084_zpsm1yqc1dp

Almost there. Checking and tidying electrics next.
71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 IMG_4148_zpsbjdbqg4s

Linkage needs a coat of paint, but I'm proud to show off the spanner.........
71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 IMG_9083_zpspilgygxl
Back to top Go down
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 EmptyTue May 29, 2018 8:11 pm

A bit more this weekend just gone which led me on to looking at the fuel pump.
I'm a little bit concerned about how close the fuel hose is to the exchanger.
What do you think?
I do have some catalyst heat shield, but I'm not sure how to hold it in place.

71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 IMG_4159_zps8yik0lc3

71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 IMG_4160_zps9ez6mkv2
Back to top Go down
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 EmptyTue May 29, 2018 8:13 pm

I reckon I can spin the inlet/outlet on the pump to move the hose away from the exchanger.

I am so close to putting the 71 back down on it's wheels. Pushing it in the garage. Tarping it over and walking away.
Another evening of work yet so little progress.
Had to drop a bloody carb off just to get the 'nipple' on to spark plug so the lead would fit.
Then off came the throttle arm to put on the left hand conversion kit from CB performance, only to find whilst the washers fit the actual throttle arm didn't.
71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 IMG_4175_zps6mazcizj

71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 IMG_4174_zpstn6mtplu

I'll be on the phone to Eurocarb tomorrow to get a replacement. £36 and it's a load of pony!

To cheer myself up I thought I'd put in my swanky little throttle cable guide.
Only to find that it won't go all the way through the flaming tinware. I'm going to see if having a mate assist is worth trying, if I lie under the van and get someone to feed it through I'm hoping I can sort.
71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 IMG_4176_zpsvzbo6cxw

If anyone is able to tell me the length, inner dia and outer dia of a stock cable guide it would be much appreciated. I can't find my old one........ I'm looking to see if I can get a mate to pop it on a lathe and turn it down a mm or so.......see if it helps.
Back to top Go down
vwroadster
Blitzen Regular
Blitzen Regular
vwroadster

Male Number of posts : 337
My Ride(s) : Wizard Roadster
Registration date : 2007-03-15

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 EmptyFri Jun 01, 2018 2:55 pm

I'm sure mine went all the way through Scoops.

I did dry fit it all on the bench though, from what I remember, I had to fettle the tinware at the rear behind the fan housing for the flat bit to sit flush with the fan housing on your last picture.
Back to top Go down
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 EmptyFri Jun 01, 2018 8:54 pm

I had another fiddle this afternoon. I can feel it sitting in the hole of that piece of front tin. Might see if I can get the first inch or so turned down
Back to top Go down
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 EmptySun Jun 03, 2018 8:19 pm

After a lot of filing and fettling I managed to get the CB Performance left hand conversion kit on to my carb.
71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 IMG_4186_zpsnumsnweu

Got it on there and realised something was amiss. They were opening at different rates. Turns out that I am still running the Alfa linkage. So one opens much faster and further than the other. So, it's off with the arms, and on the hunt, urgently for a pair of IDF throttle arms.
Hoping this kit sorts out the problem.
71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 IMG_4187_zpskpqkxsor

Here's what we have at the moment.
71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 IMG_4192_zpsmjxwccym

Mrs Scoops was called in to help with the installation of the throttle cable guide.
71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 IMG_4189_zps8yppgwyj

And we nailed it!
71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 IMG_4191_zpsvazpjuuw

Just need to find the fasteners to refit the rear valance. Need to tidy the wiring up and get it running now!
Back to top Go down
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 6:21 am

No new pics as there isn't much to see visually.
But.......the rear valance is in place again, held in with four screws, need to buy some more.
The offside heat exchanger cable is connected up too. The new throttle arms are fitted.

What's left? Connect the near side heat exchanger cable up, connect the worry gauges loom to the senders, connect the alternator and coil and tidy up the wiring.
Get it down off the axle stands. Spin it for oil pressure then fire her up!

All being well I'll be driving to Bristol Volksfest in it on Friday afternoon!
Back to top Go down
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 10:10 pm

So she runs, kind of!
I got the other exchanger control cable connected up, got her down off the stands and she's stood on all four wheels again.

After working out the position of Number 1 (180 degrees out as the blooming timing gear turned as I dropped it in to the case, lesson learned there is to install the timing gear BEFORE the case is bolted up!).

Anyway, it starts on the button, BUT, doesn't like to rev up, it is bogging down and I think it getting hot, possible running lean.

I'll be on to Eurocarb early doors to get advise and to order a set of jets for the 36 IDF's. Not sure if I need new rose joints or completely replace the linkage. I ran out of time to take the jets out this evening.
It's a 1641, with an Engle 100, stock heads, twin 36 IDFs, Pertronix electronic ignition/dizzy, Bosch blue coil and a VS exhaust. Any advice on jetting is greatfully received.

The clutch needs adjusting as it's all new and the wiring needs tidying now I know it all works etc.

I'm hoping I can get it drivable by Thursday night, but I don't think it's likely........
Back to top Go down
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 EmptyMon Jun 25, 2018 10:09 pm

o, it wasn't ready for Bristol Volksfest.
I ordered the jets, venturis etc etc and they arrived in good time, however when I finally got the carb off the 3 & 4 side of the engine I simply couldn't get one of the venturis out.
I had to soak it in oil for 3 days, heat it, then beat the vent out of the carb body.

When it came to the 1 & 2 side I simply couldn't get the carb off the manifold, or, with the engine in place.

After stripping the first carb I managed to lose the bearing that is part of the pump jet, so I had to order new ones, along with pump jet seals and a gasket, to go with all the other stuff.

So this evening, I got the other manifold off by taking the rubber blocks out from the support bar to drop the engine around 2", this was enough give enough access to the other manifold bolts.
71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 IMG_4335_zpslcy9m43n

Both carbs were then fully stripped with the Alfasud jets, emulsion tube and venturis binned off.71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 IMG_4337_zpsjpq0szlg

And the new kit took it's place
71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 IMG_4336_zps3epcjzed

And here they are, now ready to go back in.
71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 IMG_4338_zpspcompopl

Just need bolting back in place and fingers crossed we're away!

The only issue I have is where I took the outlet off the electric fuel pump to re-route the fuel pumps route from the tank it now weeps fuel. I'll have a proper look at that next time I'm out there, should be Wednesday night.
Back to top Go down
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 EmptyTue Jul 03, 2018 7:57 am

Turns out the 36IDFs I bought that had been set up for a 1776 hadn't bee, they had actually been taken straight off an Alfa Sud.
New throttle arms, new venturis, new emulsions and new jets, along with new gaskets and idle jet seals, then the floats reset and it's back in place and ready to go.

The linkage has been adjusted nice and tight, although the single core throttle cable is, imho, causing some issues so a 'strand' type has been ordered.

I'm going to recheck the valve gaps too, replace the throttle cable, and fit the Save My Bug dipstick sender. This flashes the oil light if the oil starts to get too warm, and then holds the light on solid if it passes a certain temp.
I plan to install a slimline led warning light to my oil temp gauge and piggyback this off the dash warning light, (when I figure out how!)

Just waiting for a mobile carb guru to come round now and finish balancing/synchronising the carbs, adjusting the idle and mixture and I do believe I am then ready to run it in!!!!!
I've got just over a week to get it done and off the drive before the builders start at Chez Scoops!!!!
Back to top Go down
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 EmptySun Jul 08, 2018 10:35 pm

Carbs being balanced etc tomorrow.
Very Excitemeeted!
Back to top Go down
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2018 6:59 am

Well the good news.
She drives lovely. Plenty of torque, and sounds spot on.

The not so good news. Did about 10 miles last night and the gear shift went, leaving me with only 3rd and 4th and when I got back I noted oil.
Looks like the crankshaft main seal has let go.
I can’t have got it in 100% square.
Gutted isn’t the word.
I’ve got Thurs and Fri off though so I just hope I can get it sorted in time before the scaffolding arrives on Monday!
Back to top Go down
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2018 9:06 pm

Got the new crankshaft oil seal as well as a rear bush for the gear link.
I an also replace the conduit for the throttle cable when I'm under there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 25 Empty

Back to top Go down

71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)
Page 25 of 25Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 23, 24, 25